Purpose Trumps Passion







I was reading MLK quotes looking for one to include in my weekly updates for staff and came across this one:

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."

Each day on Twitter, I see educators sharing their work and exuding passion.  I often think about how lucky their students or staff are to have such passionate, dedicated educators.  Back in July, at the National Principals Conference, I met so many inspiring educators who were eager to share and connect with like-minded people.  I left feeling invigorated and so assured that I had chosen the right work or "found my calling."  But there's more to it than passion.  Educators need to know and deeply understand how they are making a contribution to others and why their work matters.  Chip and Dan Heath shared In The Power of Moments that, "people who expressed high levels of excitement about their work were still poor performers if they lacked a sense of purpose."  So, how do we help key in on our why?  

During my building-based opening day faculty meeting this year, I asked every staff member to write on a piece of card stock what it is that drives them to do this work.  In other words, what's their why?  I did this after showing two videos that truly speak to the importance of purpose (yes, one is a commercial for Bell's scotch).  The videos are below.  My goal in this exercise was to have each of my teachers individually identify their purpose because when we know our WHY, then our what and how have a much greater impact.   My goal was to get teachers thinking and maybe leave them feeling inspired to go and make a difference.  Isn't that what opening day is about?  But when teachers began sharing out, it was clear to everyone in the room that we shared a purpose: the kids.  Here are a few:

"To inspire and ignite a love of learning in every child."
"To empower my students with the knowledge they need to be world changers."
"To build confidence in every child and help them feel successful."
"To encourage my students to appreciate their own unique talents."

What educators feel passionate about may vary and that's okay. Our teachers may be passionate about global citizenship, instructional technology, or children's literature.  However, passion isn't what makes teachers highly effective. Instead, when a teacher feels a strong purpose, that their work is important, and that they are contributing to others, nothing can stand in the way of their success.  And when this purpose is shared, it can be incredibly powerful.  

Martin Luther King Jr. is one of the greatest examples of having a clearly defined purpose. Not only did he identify his why early, he communicated it often.  We as educators need to do the same.  So here I go:  My why is to make a difference in the lives of students.  It is why I became a principal - so that I could have a greater impact.  What is your why?  


    

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Creating Connections

Genius Day: Creating a Culture of Connectedness